SRCA May 2015 Newsletter
We are finishing up our testing this month with the new California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress (CAASPP) for juniors, in English, math and science, the California State Tests (CST/STAR) for sophomores in life science, as well as Advanced Placement (AP) tests. Our students and staff take this opportunity to display their efforts over the past year in how well they have learned the standards. May is also the month when we will applaud our senior students who have excelled during the year at our annual invitational awards night and add the final preparations for graduation as well as the end-of-the-year activities. Our 2015 Seniors and Parents of Seniors letter was mailed in late January and posted on our webpage. We encourage you to review this important activity information.
Congratulations to Ms. Erin Scalero as she was a finalist for the county teacher of the year. She is an outstanding teacher and we are very proud of Erin!
Our “brag” section this month is overflowing as our students continue to “shine” in their extra-curricular activities!
- Four of our students at SRHS have placed in the Young Art 2015 Exhibition at the San Diego Museum of Art in Balboa Park; the theme is ‘Visualizing Music’. Nina Chiodo (9th), Ellie Howell (9th), Kate Jones (9th), and Chloe Kim (10th).
- William Hang was awarded a $10,000 Kyoto Price Scholarship for his essay on advanced technology.
- The Scripps Ranch High School String Orchestra, under the direction of Russell Shedd, earned a Superior rating, the highest possible rating, at the National Orchestra Festival held in Salt Lake City.
- 4 Men 4 Octaves won the Far Western District High School Championship Barbershop Quartet contest for the second year in a row!
- Katie Mohns is the recipient of the CARCOP award for San Diego Unified School District.
- Our culinary arts students continue to shine! Elizabeth Kliewer and Alana Olson won second place in California for the Restaurant Management competition. They won over $30,000 in scholarships collectively.
- Ja’Shaun Delaney has been selected as a delegate for the 2015 American Legion California Boys State.
- Congratulations to the State Science Olympiad team: Annie Xu, Edwin Do, Austin Su, Bryan Hu, Darin Troung, Jessica Yu, Juhi Madan, Jonathan Xia, William Hang, Kamen Grozrev, Sarvottam Jalsingh, Nilay Shah, Jared Troung, Ashwath Radhachandran and Kevin Liao. Together they won 9 medals at the most competitive state Science Olympiad competition in the nation.
- Mira Mahmood was awarded a $2,500 National Achievement Scholarship.
- William Hang and Matthew Wildenhain were both awarded $2,500 National Merit Scholarships.
- Kana Garcia, Nicholas Gomez, Elizabeth Pliego-Benitez, and Julia Hornedo all scored in the top 2.5% of Hispanic/Latinos PSAT/NMSQT test takers in our region.
- And MANY more!
Our spring athletic teams continue to compete and succeed in their efforts to keep our Falcon Pride soaring high. The efforts made by parents and staff to keep our programs successful are deeply appreciated. Our summer camp information will be available on the website for your convenience.
Calendar for May
May 4 – 15 AP Testing
May 18 Foundation Meeting
May 20 SRC Meeting – 4:30PM - Marshall Middle School
May 21 Senior Awards (by invitation) – 3:30PM
May 25 Memorial Day - No School
May 26-29 CAASPP testing – grade 11 only
May 27 Salute to Excellence (by invitation) - 4PM - USD
May 28-30 Dance Performance
Please refer to the website (www.srhsfalcons.org) for upcoming events, announcements, and school information. Go Falcons!!